The African Programme for Economic and Social Development (PADES in French) is a regional Organization created since June 2013. PADES is incorporated since 2014 in the Democratic Republic of Congo and since March 2017 in Côte d’Ivoire.
The idea to establish PADES came after a deep analysis of political turmoil and armed conflicts that faced several African countries since 1990s. Instead of Heads of State engagement to achieve the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) by 2015, only few of them was on track. Even if countries committed to post MDGs Agenda, PADES would like to push African countries to be accountable towards their economic and social responsibilities, according to the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights and the African Charter on Human and People’s Rights, by contributing to any programme that empower African people and improve their living conditions.
PADES is headquartered in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo and has its Regional Office for the Central Africa in Goma (Eastern Congo). A regional office for the Southern Africa in Lubumbashi, a Regional Office for West Africa in Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire. PADES has Representatives in Benin and Zambia and focal points in 5 other African countries before its physical presence (Congo Brazzaville, Central African Republic, Senegal, Burkina Faso, Kenya, Burundi)
The global objective of PADES is to support African countries to improve their people’s economic and social conditions, according to the International Covenant on the Economic, Social and Cultural Rights and the African Charter on Human and People’s Rights.
Specifically, the PADES aims at:
– ending extreme poverty and malnutrition through the promotion of sustainable agriculture;
– Promoting entrepreneurship and access to fair markets;
– Encouraging the use of new information technologies and communication for sustainable development;
– Promoting health for all;
– Encouraging education from future generations;
– Participating in the peacebuilding from Africa, and end any kind of sexual based violence and promotion of gender equality.